Direct to content

FAQ (frequently asked questions)

Last updated April 2012


Where can I find out about studying in Finland?

Take a look at these sites:


Where can I find information about working in Finland?

Our article "How about getting a job in Finland?" will start you off with basic information and links.

The Ministry of Employment and the Economy website is useful, with a booklet (available for download) entitled Working in Finland.  So is Expat Finland with its sections on moving to Finland, living in Finland and employment in Finland.

Info Bank contains important info in 15 languages for immigrants about Finnish society.

Public Services in Finland provides a wealth of information about everyday life in Finland.


Where can I find info about tourism in Finland?

Check the following websites:


I’m interested in doing business with Finnish companies. How should I proceed?

The best way to forge business contacts with Finnish companies is to contact Finpro. The website also contains a list of Finpro's Trade Centres around the world.

See also:


Where can I find info about Finland's official viewpoints and policies?

See the websites of the President, the Government, the Parliament and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs:


I’d like to visit Finland. Do I need a visa, and if so, how can I get it?

Visit the Ministry for Foreign Affairs website to find out whether you need a visa. Visa applications can be made to your nearest Finnish Embassy.


Where can I find out about moving to Finland?

The Finnish Immigration Service provides extensive info on visas, residence permits and other immigration issues.

You may also want to visit the Migration section of Public Services in Finland.


Can I bring my dog, cat, bird, horse, ferret, etc. to Finland?

For info, see the website of the Finnish Food Safety Authority.


I’m trying to trace a Finnish relative. Can you help?

Check out the following websites if you're interested in genealogy:


I’d like to learn Finnish. Where do I start?

On thisisFINLAND under Language, you’ll find a selection of articles about Finnish, as well as Swedish, Finland’s other official language. We also feature info about the Sámi, the indigenous people of northern Finland, and their language. You can also visit:

The Centre for International Mobility publishes a list of places to study Finnish abroad.


May I reproduce images or text from thisisFINLAND?

The Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland holds the copyright to all material on our site unless otherwise stated. If you would like to quote us, we ask that you notify us first and remember to list as the source (and, if online, link the word “” to our homepage or another suitable page within our site).

The majority of pictures on thisisFINLAND were purchased from professional photographers or organisations, and may not be reused. Reproducing these images always requires permission from the photographer or organisation in question. We can provide you with contact details.

You can also buy pictures directly from Finnish photo agencies:


Where can I get brochures about Finland?

You can order free brochures from Visit Finland.


What happened to Virtual Finland?

Virtual Finland was originally established in 1995. We changed our name to thisisFINLAND in the spring of 2009, and totally revamped the look and feel of the site while we were at it. 


I didn’t find the answer to my question here. What should I do?

See our contact page or write to us at thisisfinland (ät), or search the thisisFINLAND website using the search box in the left-hand navigation bar.


Bookmark and Share

Rate this article:

average: 0 / total: 0

© 1995 - 2015, thisisFINLAND
Published by the Finland Promotion Board
Produced by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Department for Communications